Wednesday, April 24, 2013

6 Tips for Traveling with a Baby

       Traveling is one of the best experiences in my opinion. I wish I could travel more than I do, but I absolutely love it when I get the chance to! Once I had a baby, traveling took on a whole new meaning! It meant more bags, more planning, and more money! Here are a few tips in helping your trip run a little smoother!

1) Plan where you want to go and go!
Don't let having a baby with you deter your destination. Once you know where you are going you can research different hotels that are baby friendly. You can also research places to go and things to do that are fun for the whole family! It takes a little more planning but it is definately possible!

2) Call ahead.
If you are staying with/near a family or friend call ahead. See if they have any essential items that you dont have to bring with you. A few essential items would be a pack and play and car seat. It makes it much easier to not have to bring these items. If you are flying and they have a car seat you are going to use, have them check the expiration date and make sure that they bring it with them!

                   

3) If you are flying, take a bag with essentials only.
You don't want to tote a huge back through the airport. In this bag you should have bottle, nursing cover (if your breastfeeding exclusively), diapers, wipes, burp cloth, paci, blanket, a few small toys, hand sanitzer, and a few small snacks if your baby is old enough. I also recommending putting your wallet in the diaper bag so you just have 1 bag in the airport. Pack your purse in your suitcase!

4) Bring your car seat/stroller.
Obviously you probably won't forget this if are driving, but if you are flying it tends to get left behind. The airport has covers for your car seat to help it from getting ruined that you can request when you check your luggage. You can do the same for your stroller. The bags are somewhat thin and protect mainly against scratches and small holes. If you want something sturdier, they have bags/luggage you can buy for carseats. You can also do a gate check for your stroller if you want to take it with you through the airport. I do recommend this for airports, however, I recommend small strollers if you do this.

                         
 Luggage and Bag Covers for Car Seats

5) Have transportation at your destination ready to go before you leave on your trip. This applies mainly to flying, but you also need to make sure you have reliable transportation if you are driving.

6) Make a list of everything you need.
I like to start making my list about 1 week before I leave. Inevitably, I always leave something off my list and forget it. So, if I have a week to make the list I am more likely to get everything on it that I need because I can add to it as I think of things. Double and triple check that you have everything you need before going! To save some space on diapers and wipes, check out Diapers.com. They will deliver straight to your destination!

7) Get a travel agent if you need help planning your destination. Check out Mix and Match Travel Agency to help you plan your trip!

Here's a few pictures from our first travels!


Brody's 1st car trip from Houston to OKC.




        Brody's 1st airplane trip from Houston to Jacksonville, FL


         
Our family in Florida

Thanks for reading! I hope your trip goes a little smoother now!

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment