Thursday, March 14, 2013

Your Hospital Stay

Oh, the hospital. I don't know about you, but when I hear the word hospital I cringe a little bit. Something about it just makes me nervous and uneasy. When I think "hospital", I think very sick. It is something you dread. But lucky for you, having a baby is actually an exciting reason to go to the hospital!! There a few things that I learned in my hospital stay with Brody that I would like to share!

1) Get to know your nurse when she comes in. Ask questions and tell her about yourself so she can get to  know you a little bit better. She will be getting up close and personal with you so it is good to at least know a little bit about each other. Plus, she will be helping you through one of the most amazing experiences of your life and you want to remember her. I remember my nurse. Her name was Gladys. She was a God send and so wonderful!!! She was the most perfect nurse for me. I remember Aaron, my husband, could not be with my for the epidural. I was really nervous about getting it. Gladys came in front of me as I had to arch my back and held me. She kept telling me it was going to be okay. Seriously, such a great woman! She did not have to do that. I was in labor so long that they had to switch rotations and Gladys had to leave. It broke my heart. But I told her to find me someone she trusted and that she thought was good. After only 12 hours of knowing this lady, I trusted her imensly. I believe it was because our first interactions were very good.

2) Ask questions along the way. If they want to do something or check on something with you, ask what they are doing any why. If they tell you and you don't understand, ask them to explain it. You are not a nurse or doctor. You are not expected to know all the details of what is going on. It is totally fine to ask questions. They are there to walk you through and explain it. You need to know what is going on with you and your baby the whole time. Ask them to be honest and open with you about everything. It will help you stay calm if you know what is happening with your body and your baby's body.

3) Do the best you can. Sometimes our body or our baby's body doesn't adjust to the situation like they should. I remember I was terrified of a C-section. My body was not progressing on it's own and the nurses were actually helping my body dilate each time they checked me (talk about ouch!). So I got an epidural to try and help my body relax. Progression was still slow. I remember thinking "Oh no, I'll have to get a C-section!" My body finally progressed and I was able to deliver naturally which was my preference. However, had my body not progressed and I needed a C-section, then I would have done it. If that is what would have been best for my baby and myself, I would not have thought twice. Just because you have a C-section, it doesn't mean you are any less of a mommy since you did not have the baby "naturally". Its ok! You did the best thing for you and for your baby and that is being a GREAT mommy! However you choose to, or have to, have your baby is okay!

4) Send the baby to the nursery at night. Having a baby is one of the most traumatic events that will happen to your body. It is exhausting to your body as well. You need rest!! I know it is hard and you just want to stare at and hold your new bundle, but girl - let those nurses handle it the first few nights. Because here's the deal, you're it once you take that sweet baby home! When your baby cries at 2 am, YOU have to get up. Getting up with your baby is great and it is a bonding time, but it does get tiring! Plus, the nurses know exactly what to look for in newborns and can detect signs of danger. They will also not be sleeping so there will be an eye on your baby ALL night. If your baby was in your room, you would be sleeping and there would not be an eye on your baby all night. Take advantage of it. Also, sleep in a little in the mornings at the hospital. Trust me - you will be glad you did and wish you could do it again about week 3 at home when you are more tired that you ever knew you could be. **Note: I think it is totally fine to have your baby in your room if you want to! I just think that it is wise to take advantage of the sleep and someone watching your baby at night while you can! Just think about it. Whatever you decide is okay!

5) Enjoy visitors. However, it is your baby and you call the shots honey! You get to decide who holds the baby and when. If you do not want anyone holding your baby that is fine too! It is YOUR baby. Do not feel bad about any of your decisions. You are doing what you think is best for your baby and that is ok! Ask visitors to be healthy if they come and ask them to wash their hands when they enter the room. You need those around your baby to be germ free. Especially if your baby is born in flu season. It is okay to be a little obsessive about this. Newborns who get the flu or other sickness could get very sick or die from it.

6) Take lots of pictures and videos! You will want to remember this time. Take your journal that I talked about in this blog and write about your experiences! Enjoy it! It is one of the greatest miracles you will ever be a part of! I remember leaving the hospital saying "That was so fun! I cannot wait to do it again!" Obviously the pain was not fun, but bringing a new life into this world was just amazing and that was the fun part!

Good luck and enjoy your new little addition!

Until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment