Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Pump, Pump, Pump It Up!

Do you have that cheer going through your head right now like I do after reading that title? No, okay. Maybe it is just me or my many years of cheering. I thought it was a clever title!

This week's post will be able the dreaded pump!! Some people have never experienced this glorious device and some of us have experienced it quite often! I get lots of questions on which ones are the best, how do you efficiently do it, etc.

1. Which pump is the best?
I personally prefer Medela pumps. However, I have only tried Medela and Ameda so I don't have a very large basis. I also like the Ameda, I just prefer the Medela because the suction is stronger and it takes less time when you have a stronger suction. According to Baby Center, the Medela "Pump in Style" (which is the one I have), "Freestyle", "Swing", and "Symphony", and Phillips Avent Comfort Manual pump is the best.  I don't know about you, but I don't want to have a manual pump, ever! Here are some pumps that The Bump suggest:
Best Pump for Working Moms: Medela Pump In Style
Most Affordable Pump: Lansinoh Affinity Pump
Most Convenient Pump: Philips Avent Comfort Pump
Most Comfortable Pump: Dr. Brown's Double Electric Pump
Best Manual Pump: Harmony Breast Pump by Medela
Best Hospital Grade Pump: Ameda Elite
Most Portable Pump: Freemie Freedom
Apparently you can just slide the cups under your bra and still pump with your bra and shirt on with the Freemie! Sounds a little harder than it is worth to me, but who knows!?

2. How often should I pump if I pump exclusively?
If you are pumping exclusively, you need to pump every 2-3 hours when your baby is first born. You should do this for the first few weeks-months. This includes night time!! You usually make the most milk between 1:00 - 5:00 a.m. So these are important! Once your baby starts moving to feeding every 3-4 hours, you can just pump when your baby eats and then feed your baby that milk in a bottle.

3. When should I pump if I am also nursing?
If you are wanting to get some extra milk to save, then pump after feedings. Whatever is left you can store. You can safely store it at room temperature for 3 hours, in a refrigerator for 3 days, in a freezer for 3 months, and in a deep freezer for about 6 months. You can also replace a nursing feed with a bottle of your pumped breast milk. Just pump about 15 minutes before feeding time.

4. How long do I need to pump for?
You should pump for about 15-20 minutes. Even if you are pumping and you think you are done, you can turn the power up a little and induce another "let down". This can help you produce more milk.

5. Does pumping increase my supply?
Yes it can. If you want it to help increase your supply, pump after every feeding for about 10 minutes. This will cause your body to think you need more milk and thus produce more milk.

6. How do I pump and work?
This one can be tricky. First talk to your boss and let them know your situation. This can be awkward but it needs to happen. Then figure out your child's schedule while you are at work. Try to pump at the same time they eat if you can. This will keep you on the same schedule and reduce pumping and bottles at home. When you pump at work, store your milk in a refrigerator or freezer and keep it for feedings for the next day or the future.

Hope this answered some pumping questions! Please feel free to ask any that I did not answer!

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment